The Light of Trujillo, Lucas

Susanne - Buda, Texas

This I believe; everyone has worth. No one is worthless or less important because of their past, what they look like, or in this case, where they live and who they are.

I traveled to another country recently, and that’s when I saw Lucas. Lucas is the name the neighborhood gave this middle aged scrawny looking man who never let anyone cut his hair. I had heard stories from my mothers’ friend about this sweet man. How he sits on this corner, rain or shine, night or day, everyday, and no one cares about him. They think he has nothing to offer, nothing special, they think he’s worthless. Someone who brings nothing to their small town of Trujillo, they would say. I believe otherwise, I knew he had worth.

Once about every three months someone would come to Lucas with a new shirt. He would put his arms up in the air like a little kid, and get changed into his new item of clothing. People would throw scraps at him, like he was a stray dog, as if he didn’t deserve to have anything. I knew I believed in something better than that, something better than the treatment he was getting. I believe he deserves regular food, clothes on a day to day basis, he deserves to be treated like every human being.

I went to where we were staying in the small town. Thinking about Lucas, how he doesn’t do anything wrong. He just sits there and watches life go by. Watches as people stare and compare themselves to him. Watches as he is made fun of, how people laugh at him. Yet he still sits. That’s when I noticed, and that’s when I really believed; Life has worth no matter who I am, where I come from, if I spend my nights sitting on a corner or spend my nights in the White House. I believe Lucas has worth and everyone else in this world. Lucas means light, and with out that little scrawny light on the corner of Trujillo it would be hard to believe.