I Believe in REAL hip-hop

Chris - Glendale, Arizona

Hip-hop has certainly grown over the years. To see where it has came from is trendsetting. Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC; these were the pioneers of hip-hop dating all the way back to the 70’s. Now, as I much as I love to see it grow into mainstream, it feels like it is becoming all about sex, money, drugs, and women. I mean, it seems like these new “artists” are just people that write a couple of verses, put a beat behind it, and consider themselves the new generation of hip-hop. I hate to say it, but this new mainstream hip-hop is fake.

However, there is that unknown side of the genre that is unknown to people. I believe that REAL hip-hop’s meaning can alter people’s perception about music. As much as I listen to music, especially hip-hop, it is sickening to hear about the same topics over and over again. The worst thing is that people say hip-hop isn’t becoming pop, yet it moves closer to it and even with all of the real hip-hop artists, they don’t get the same exposure as Soulja Boy or Flo Rida. Most of them don’t get exposure at all. Now, people say that Lil’ Wayne and Young Jeezy is the real hip-hop. Sure, I listen to them but it goes even further than that. What about The Roots? Common? Lupe Fiasco? In my opinion, “The Cool” by Lupe Fiasco was one of the greatest albums of the new century and it is one of the few albums that I can just bob my head to every song. But, many people have never heard of the album, let alone Lupe Fiasco. However, everyone knows “Because I Got High” by Afroman. Self-explanatory. The same goes for The Roots as they have been considered one of the best hip-hop groups of all time, yet I feel like I’m the only person that have heard of them. Is there something wrong with me because I listen to music that doesn’t contain the same message in every song? Even when people listen to popular artists like Kanye West, Tupac, and Notorious B.I.G., they might recite every verse to the song, but they don’t realize that these artists are talking about important subjects in life. For example, “Jesus Walks” by Kanye West was the song that basically got his career started, due to the fact that the controversial title made it interesting. Yet, as I looked beyond the title, West was talking about issues in life. Just listen to the intro:

“We’re at war with terrorism, racism, and most of all, we’re at war with ourselves.”

Or even listen to a more inspirational song, such as “Keep Your Head Up” by Tupac and the title explains itself. Yet, these aren’t the songs those two artists are known for because it wasn’t what the people wanted to hear. I just hope that one day, people will see the REAL reason why hip-hop was created.