I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag…

Kristin - Glendale, Arizona

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag…

It’s amazing how patriotic Americans can be after such an event like September 11th. Yet, when there are two wars going on, patriotism seems to be down the drain, at least for what I’ve noticed in the classroom setting. The majority of teenagers seem to have no respect for the American flag anymore. I believe this is due to the lack of interest in the political world.

In years past, teens have shown extreme patriotism, like going to war. Today, there isn’t nearly the amount of teens signing up for the armed forces as there used to be. I think this is because people are more worried about getting rich, rather than protecting their country.

In our society, Hollywood teaches kids to be into themselves. And that is exactly what has happened. Teens are too into themselves, and their lives, to care about the real world.

Everyday, I witness kids not even standing for the Pledge of Allegiance. They feel they don’t “need to.” It absolutely drives me crazy when my own classmates do that. I understand that some people do not want to say the Pledge, because the word God is in it. They should at least show a little respect by standing. I think that today teens are too arrogant to realize that someone is overseas fighting for their right to be able to say the Pledge.

When it comes to the National Anthem, at high school games, teens also disregard the fact that it’s even played. They go on with their life as normal, and forget about the significance of the song.

Now I am not a perfect, patriotic, American. But I do try and focus on the men and women fighting overseas for my freedom. When I am asked to say the Pledge of Allegiance, I stand with my hand over my heart, and I think about who is allowing me to say the Pledge everyday. I will admit, though, that every time the National Anthem is sung or played, I somehow always tear up. It’s something about that song that gets to me.

All in all, I believe that no matter what, teens especially should show respect to this country, and the men and women fighting for this country, by respectfully standing for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem. Because what we do now is what we will teach our kids someday. And I know I certainly do not want a country with no support from its people, in the future.