Lucky Me

Marissa - Peoria, Arizona

As I walked across the enormous field with my grass stained, knee-high socks and my lowered poise, I came across a four-leaf clover amongst a cluster of three-leaved clovers. Picking it with amazement, I almost forgot about the ticking timer on the score board which read 0 – 3. I quickly tucked the clover in my sock as my coach yelled at me to get on the soccer field. My confidence boosted as I charged on to the opponents’ side and shot at the goal. Just my luck, the goalie caught the ball- or so I thought. The ball quickly slipped from her hands and rolled right in the goal. I scored our team’s first point of the game! I took a deep breath of the crisp fall air and let out a big cheer as the hair stood up on my arms. My teammates rampaged at me with arms in the air, jumping up and down like grasshoppers. The clover charmed my spirit creating an air of joy and confidence for me.

Some may call luck wishful thinking or a superstition, but I like to think of it as a belief. Luck can appear in a positive outcome or a negative outcome, depending on one’s point of view. As an optimistic individual, I believe that bad luck is good luck in disguise. Luck is based on opportunity and chance, yet it can be interpreted in many ways.

The power to create bad luck is generated in the mind. If my intuition tells me something bad will occur, it most likely will. I tend to avoid situations such as that. A penny found on tails is said to be unlucky, but I think of it as a fortunate finding. A mirror breaks and I have seven years of bad luck… No, it was time to get a newer and more stylish mirror anyway. Do not dwell on misfortunes, but instead turn them into a treasure or a positive learning experience.

Good luck puts a smile on a face. And its purpose was served. I believe that there is no way of predicting the future, but having a positive perspective on life can create a higher chance of good fortune. I rely on luck as a tool in everyday life, such as when I cross my fingers before taking a test or wishing when the time hits 11:11. I am spontaneous in hopes that luck is on my side. One may call it a crutch, but to me it is a way of reassuring myself.

I want to divulge my secret to everyone because luck is something that can give a person confidence. Confidence is respected and acknowledged and it is not to be confused with ignorance. To have confidence in decisions and actions leave one to seek for lucky objects, such as a lucky pair of underwear. It is encouraging to have things to confide in, no matter how silly they are. Luck may come in any form as long as a positive feeling is released.

I believe in four leaf clovers.