Marching Band is a contact sport

Brittany - Peoria, Arizona

As we get ready to head out for the football field we jump up and down getting pumped for the big game. With our uniforms on tight we buckle our helmets to protect us from the other athletes. As the sweat drips down from our faces we swerve in between the other players trying not to crash.

Oh, but don’t be confused, I am not on the football team. I am with the band. I believe marching band is more than just a sport, it’s a contact sport.

Marching band is full of ups and downs, literally. Sometimes we are up dodging rifles and sabers, and sometimes we are down lying in a pile of band kids because someone decided to fall and cause a domino effect. One after the other we fall down showing a new side to the whole marching band experience. The funny thing is this normally happens when we’re backwards marching and can not see where we’re going. One minute we are up thinking life is good and the next thing we know we are sitting on our butts on the floor thinking, “What the hell just happened?” Then we realize that this catastrophe was caused by a random shoe on the field and can not help but laugh. However, people are not always the cause of a disaster in marching band.

Our instruments often have a mind of their own. While we are out on the field we never know what is going to happen. At one of our practices we were marching our show like always, when someone’s trombone decided to add a little bit more action to our routine. The trombone slide grabbed onto a bass clarinet’s hair and decided to take her for a little walk… more like a drag if you ask me.

Marching band is all about running from hard flying objects, staying away from collisions, and trying not to fall, all while playing and marching at outrageous tempos around the field. Basically, marching band is an all out contact sport that can often result in terrible catastrophes, but the funniest memories.