I believe the word

Shannon - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: love

I believe the word “love” is constantly being overused in the dialogue of teenagers and young adults today, from the over exaggerated text messages, to sappy myspace comments. I believe people should truly understand the significance of the meaning of the word before they use it. Love is not a word to be casually thrown around in speech.

I believe that many people, especially today are caught up in superficial relationships based on material items or the size of their partners wallet rather than a deep spiritual connection with one another. Teenage love is often hard to find because neither person is fully developed emotionally. They may not be ready to handle a mature relationship nor are they ready to experience such deep feelings. Yes, I do know a couple of people at my school who have been dating the same person for two or three years, but that isn’t very common. Some may truly be in love, or it may seem that way. However, “love” at my age is uncommon to last or even exist with all the raging hormones and temptations that surround them. Some couples may think they love each other but when their relationship is tested it falls apart as soon as it began. I have witnessed one of my best friends go through this in the past and let me tell you, it wasn’t pretty. To make a long story short two people who thought they were in “love” are now one another’s enemy.

I believe true love is based on two important things, trust and commitment. A lot of people don’t understand the concept of commitment. So many guys at my school cheat on their girlfriends or vice versa, it’s just ridiculous. Once that trust is lost it’s hard to regain and the relationship becomes tainted. If a person truly loves someone else they would never even think of cheating on them because they don’t need anything more. It’s obvious with the divorce rate as high as it is that many people think they are in love but they end up wanting out of the relationship five years down the road. Love is a promise and I think more people need to realize that before they rush off and get married fresh out of high school. I think there are a lot of people who need to do some soul searching and truly evaluate their own emotions to be able to say they love someone. Some may discover that they were never really in love at all.