Evolution of a Lie

Kristen - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: morality

Constantly we tell and are told many lies. “It was them,” or “I would never do that,” are two common examples of these untruths. Whether they are simple, little white lies or complicated lies that take thought and energy to develop, they all affect us in the same way. Over time, a fib can evolve into a bigger problem, increasingly causing others to become entangled in the situation. I believe one simple lie can engrave its piercing impression on many lives. No matter who you are or whom you know, you will be affected deeply at some point in your life by a lie. Coming from a friend or a stranger, a falsehood can still change your life in drastic and painful ways.

Many people are blind to the devastating effects of their lies. Throughout most of my life, I was fortunate enough to avoid being entwined in the confusion of a life-changing prevarication, that was, until this past summer. Sometimes, when friends get into a quarrel, they spread lies. This tendency is especially vicious among teenage girls. They will do anything in their power to destroy the other person for the soul purpose of making themselves look superior. Many times people go to others and spread painful lies behind the back of their helpless victim. I became the target, which is a situation I do not want to be involved in again. I spent a large amount of my summer having to convince long time friends that I would never act the way I was accused of. This false story proved to me that lies are a bigger ordeal then people make them seem. I ended up leaving my church, where initiations of the lies ironically took place. When I left, I ended up becoming distant from several friends, making me incapable of defending myself as more lies were told. Many people turned their backs on me when they heard the inveracity that I turned my back on them. The place I had once felt the safest became the place I feared the most.

Some will lie about anything to make themselves look unblemished when they are at fault, even when the matter at hang is something trivial. They desire to distract others from viewing their fault and cause them to focus on something or someone else, even though they know exactly what they are doing. The liars of my story used to be my best friends, and knew my weak points. They knew all the people I cherished most in my life and used lies to pull them away from me. I am still struggling with the aftermath of the falsehoods and have forever been changed. No matter how hard I try, the dilemma will never leave me entirely healed. People tend to not think of how inauspicious a lie can be, and the circular pattern of lies and pain it can cause.