Time For A Change

Julie - 13210, New York
Themes: change

Time For A Change

I believe that change is an important part of my life. It is something that happens every day whether it is a big change or a small change, but it is something that should be embraced. Although we may not always be satisfied with the changes that take place, it is important to look at it in a positive way to understand how it can be beneficial to one’s future.

I came upon this insight when I moved from Brooklyn, New York to Staten Island, New York during the middle of my sophomore year in high school. Since I was a child, I have always been a timid person afraid to try new things. I was afraid to talk to me people and never ever went out to explore on my own.

A big part of my life changed when my mother decided to move to Staten Island. Although the two boroughs, Brooklyn and Staten Island are only an hour away from each by bus, I felt as if I had immigrated to another country. I was in a completely new environment and I did not know one single person. The first week in my new home was very difficult for me. I was no longer in my comfort zone. I missed all my friends, and I did not know how to get anywhere. Staten Island streets are extremely different from Brooklyn streets. Brooklyn streets are mainly ascending or descending numbers, but Staten Island all has street names. I was extremely frustrated and even hated my mom for moving us to Staten Island. The first month of school was extremely hard for me. I felt uneasy and dread coming to school each morning. I would even try to fake sicknesses as childish as it may sound, because I did not want to deal with the frustration of being away from my comfort zone.

Through a period of time, I realized that this couldn’t be the way I would go through the rest of my life. If I don’t start initiating conversations now, then I would never get anywhere in life. I woke up one morning with a load of questions. How would I be able to survive in the business world? Would I just wait in my room until someone comes to offer me a job? No, I couldn’t do that. From that point on, I knew that the change of moving to a new place was instead beneficial to me. It also lead me to make changes of my own. I was no longer afraid to go out and explore the world around me. I wasn’t afraid to ask questions anymore. I was now in control of my life. Anything was possible as long as I had the confidence to find out things.

I look as change as an important part of my life because it has helped me continuously progress in life. The transition to Syracuse University became very smooth for me unlike for many of the freshmen where as it was their first time being away from home. I had already gone to through the process of being in a completely new environment. Not only has change helped me socially; it has helped me unveil endless possibilities for a brighter future.

I strongly believe in change. As you can see, I am a clear example of how change has helped benefit my life although I felt as though my life was over when this change first occurred. Though people may not always find the changes they come across as a good thing, they can eventually find a good and beneficial aspect of the change and even make a change of their own. The world is changing everyday before our eyes. We must remember to not forget the past, but also be open to a brighter future. We should learn to embrace the changes in our lives, because from every change, there comes a new path for the future.