Cherish Life

Vaughn - phoenix, Arizona
Themes: gratitude

Growing up I’ve always known I was just a tad bit spoiled but never wanted to admit it. When I was a child, I didn’t understand my parent’s yearly income or the true value of money. I couldn’t understand why, I was ashamed if I was labeled as spoiled. I wondered why I didn’t experience joy in showing off my brand new toys to my fellow classmates or have the tendency to brag. I couldn’t comprehend why I felt this way. Now that I have become a teenager I understand my mind was telling me to appreciate what I had because deep inside I believed in cherishing everything in life. My parents did try to fulfill my every wish because of their wonderful parenting but they also guided me through valuable lessons in life. A simple lesson for example, to not show off, has taught me more than I thought. You never know what others may have or that they may be less fortunate. This has taught me a very valuable life lesson

Last summer I had an opportunity to visit my family in the Philippines. It had been 6 years since my last visit and I am a young adult now. When I was a child I remember visiting my family and traveling to the tourist sites. At the time I didn’t understand the reality of the poor country. My family is fortunate to live in a two story house however the small town they lived in is nothing compared to my lifestyle in Arizona. During my visit last summer, I walked to the lake one morning for exercise. I witnessed the poor people that live in miniature huts that they had built with bare hands from supplies from the wilderness around the lake. Everyday I have lived comfortably while everyday they suffer and struggled to survive. My problems and stress are no comparison to the obstacles they overcome daily to survive. When I think I need a new car because mine isn’t fast enough or my life is complicated, I now will rethink it. Even after the heavy thunderstorm the night before, the neighborhood children would gather and played happily like nothing was wrong. They valued life more than I used to.

Watching how these people live and cope with their situation, helped me understand my belief. They expanded my knowledge on how important it is to cherish my life and be thankful for what I have.