The Ripple Effect

Allie - Glendale, Arizona

My childhood friend was having a party for her birthday at her house out in Westwing. My friend Ashlee and I were getting ready to leave at around 10 o’clock. As we’re walking out, we said our good-byes and hopped in the car. Since I was wearing heals for the party, I decided it was probably a good idea to change into the flip-flops I had in the backseat. I changed my shoes, turned on some tunes and we were off.

We pulled off of her street and onto the main road that went through the neighborhood. The road, one lane going in each direction, was poorly lit so it was difficult to distinguish what the street signs read.

With the deficient lighting I missed my turn out of the neighborhood. Time for the dreaded 3-point-turn.

I stopped and checked for traffic. I was in the clear.

As my car was straddled across the road, a car was approaching on the left. The driver saw us and came to a stop. In the time we were so worried about the car on the left we didn’t think to look to the right.

I glanced over at Ashlee to say something and saw the headlights coming right at us to the right. The car was coming at us at the speed of at least 70 MPH. I put the car in reverse and turned fast.

There we were. Unscathed and hearts pounding.

To think if I hadn’t stopped to change my shoes, we could have been in a horrific accident. The mere thought of it scared us both out of our minds.

My personal belief is that our lives are part of a big ripple effect; one choice can change so many other parts of our lives without us even realizing it.

My belief in the ripple effect is strongly shaped by this event. It showed me that even the smallest things like changing your shoes can impact your life in a big way.

Our beliefs range from religious beliefs to what we believe is moral or immoral to beliefs on life and the events of our lives. Most of the time, like in my case, our beliefs are based on personal experiences.