Green is the New Black

Melissa - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: environment

At the beginning of my junior year my history teacher Mr. Saverino, told our class that we needed to bring two current events a week. So I began just casually watching the news and reading the newspaper. I started to realize how unhealthy the world really is.

I mean we are in the middle of a WAR and yet most Americans don’t ever give it a second thought. It’s not here at home, it’s far away and we aren’t really in immediate danger so most people just kind of forget. I also became aware of the environmental problems. Since then, I have been working hard to reach out to people and make them more aware of what is really going on in this world.

I myself recycle and most of my shirts are either recycled or organic cotton. Organic cotton doesn’t use the chemicals that are used to grow and harvest most other cotton. I don’t were the shirts that say “save the planet” or “global warming is not cool” because they are cute, I do it because it conveys a message to everyone who see’s them.

Your couch is not a strong foundation to bring about change. You may think “well I’m just one person, I can’t change anything.” WRONG! Martin Luther King Jr. was “just” one person, and yet look at his impact. You can not give up because you think you do not matter.

For the past year and a half, I myself have come to realize that even if one person cared more and chose to recycle instead of being lazy and just throwing things away, then our landfills wouldn’t be disgustingly overflowing with garbage. Numerous people don’t believe that global warming is present. Their argument is that there’s not enough evidence to support it.

So I guess the rapidly melting ice caps are not enough evidence? Then sure our planet is just fine and dandy. I have gone and done the research and know the toll our large factories take on the ozone. I want to open people’s eyes to what’s happening and what they NEED to do about it.