David - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: work

I believe hard work is the key which opens the door to success. Yet for many that door remains locked for most for their life.

Ever since I was a child I was always taught to pursue my dreams and work hard at what I love most. For the majority of my childhood I never really fully understood the meaning of hard work, considering things seemed to come naturally easy to me. I remember receiving my report cards in grade school and as I glanced over them there would be an A under every subject, well A+ to be exact. I also remember being the star player every year when I played flag football, which continued for about five years. In fact my grandfather used to give me money for every touchdown I scored each game. I remember he would always joke with me and tell me, “son, if u continue to play like this I’m going to have a heart attack over how much money I’m losing.” At this time in my life work was just another word in the dictionary.

It was not until I reached the age of 13 that I finally discovered the meaning of hard work. As I continued on in school I realized that my grades began to slip. In fact at one point I was failing my math class, which was devastating to me since math had always been my strong point. This was not because I wasn’t intelligent; more so because I was becoming lazy. I realized that if I wanted a good grade in the class I would have to work for it. I ended up studying almost every night and before I knew it my grade was up to a B. Because I continued to have such a determined attitude throughout the rest of the year I was placed into an advanced math class the following year. Football also soon became a problem as I started my first year of tackle. Since I was always good at playing flag football I figured this couldn’t be much different. It turned out I was wrong. Because I was so convinced that I was an amazing player I never actually worked hard a practice. It finally struck me that I needed to step it up big time when I ended up losing my starting position to a more determined player. I found that if I really wanted that position I would have to push myself hard at practice and actually work for it. After that day I never missed a single day of practice.

In my life today I see hard work as a very important quality to posses that shows not only responsibility but determination. It’s a quality that will get you through life knowing that anything is possible if you have the willpower to work for it. Many people today believe they don’t have what it takes to be successful in life, yet anything can be achieved if one works hard enough at what they love. You don’t have to be the most intelligent person in the world to obtain your dream job, or that perfect grade you want in a class, or even the starting position on a sports team. You just have to work hard for it.