Being Brought up Short

Beth - Dayton, Ohio

It is an automatic part of human nature to judge another person by their appearance when you first meet them, but I believe it is crucial to not do this. I believe it’s vital to never judge someone by their outward appearance; a person’s appearance is

usually the smallest indicator to who that person really is. I believe you must judge a

person by how they act, not how they look. This is what I live by; this I believe.

When given the “This I Believe” prompt by my teacher it was easy enough to

come up with a belief. But I was completely stuck on thinking of an anecdote until my

friend pointed out the fact that my family is different. Life with them is so normal that I

couldn’t even think of them as the source of my paper until I was reminded by an

outsider. I often forget about it, until I see someone staring, or a little kid pointing. My

parents and brother are dwarves, also known as “little people,” whereas my sister and I

are of average height. I used to be embarrassed by their stature when we went out, but now I am only embarrassed by the way my mom and dad act, like still demanding to take my picture on the first day of school even though I am a junior, or screaming loudly

at my cross country meets and soccer games.

Growing up with short parents and a brother has taught me this: size, skin color,

background, etc. usually has very little to do with who that person actually is on the

inside. Many of my closest friends look vastly different from me or have extremely

different backgrounds, but because I have learned not to judge them outwardly, rather

taken the time to get to know them inwardly, I have found that we have much in

common on the inside. Also, I have found that “different” isn’t always bad, and in some

cases is even better. Firstly, it has taught me this lesson, but there have been other

advantages, such as the fact that it has taken me all across the country for the Little

People of America conventions, allowing me to visit many places where I might not

normally have gone. Furthermore, they have encouraged me to push past labels or

limits others might have set for me (like they have done), and drive myself to the fullest

of my capabilities. I must not act how others think I should, but be me and accomplish

what I can.

Being raised in a “different” family is an integral part of me and my future, and I

pity those who haven’t breached the barrier of accepting differences. I would never

trade my parents or my brother for “normal” ones, in view of the fact that they are such

awesome people because of their abnormality, and by seeing that they have taught me

so much.