Perseverance Prevails

Kelli - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe that perseverance and hard work can lead to success. Anyone can try something new, face difficulties, then quit. However, it takes a strong person to try, fall short, work harder, and try again. Calvin Coolidge once said, “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.” I find this quote very inspiring and accurate because talented people may not always show their best effort, but if someone with persistence tries and tries again, they will have more of a chance to become successful. Perseverance is the persistence in a course of action in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement, and I think that it is an important quality to acquire.

I have tried to be persistent and not settled for less than my best, which has helped me to have some of the successes I have had in my life so far. One example is that I recently made the 2008 CHS Varsity tennis team as a junior. However, I have not always been this successful at tennis. I started taking club lessons during my freshman year after I didn’t make the team, and I have been working hard to improve my game ever since. I decided that I really loved tennis and I was determined to make the team my sophomore year. My mom signed me up for tennis lessons and I played with friends and family often. I made the Junior Varsity team in tenth grade, continued to develop my skills as a tennis player, and also had a great time. I played often and I worked hard to become the best tennis player that I could be. My hard work finally paid off as I unexpectedly made the Varsity team this year. Even though I have a love and natural ability for tennis, I would not be as good if I didn’t put considerable effort into it. Due to my perseverance, I have made the Varsity tennis team!

Persistence can apply to many areas of a person’s life. Someone can be persistent about their grades, their friends and relationships, their sports, and any goal that they wish to achieve. When a person becomes persistent, they will feel confident about themselves and further excel in their area of interest. I know perseverance and persistence are important qualities and have gotten me to where I am today. As my mom has always told me, “There’s a lot of try in triumph!”