The Love of a Child

Michelle - Winthrop, Iowa
Themes: children

All through high school, I was going to be a high school music teacher, or I was going to have a degree in vocal performance. Just like everyone expected me to. I always felt something was missing, but I never could figure out what it truly was. How could I be so good at one thing, but not feel like doing it for the rest of my life? Don’t get me wrong, I love singing and performing, but I didn’t feel like dedicating my life to it in a scholarly way. It felt so wrong to say that, since majoring in music was expected for me, from everyone.

It was my senior year, and my intern class was coming up. I had to decide where I wanted to go for a field experience. So I thought to myself, “If I’m going to be a high school music teacher, why not intern with a middle school level.” Well, I tried that, and, after the first few weeks, I was so confused. I hated it. All my life, I was going to do this, and now less than a year before college, I changed my mind? My mom worked in the school I was interning in and referred me to go help in the first grade classroom, since the middle school level was definitely not working out. I was skeptical. I didn’t know if my patience would last me in that sort of setting.

I found that I loved it in the first grade classroom. I loved the innocence and the thrill of schooling. Nothing was better, and I found myself longing for 8:20 to come, so I could make my way to the first graders. I found that the simple love of a child meant it all to me. The love for learning, for creating, for fun, and for me. All of the first graders gave me their love. The love that was passed on to me, and made my lifelong decision. The one I was contemplating on forever. It was there right in front of me. That simple.

I believe in the love of a child. The love of a child changed my life. Not only was it one child, but it was the whole classroom of children, and their love. I believe in many things. Also, I believe in many life-altering things. To this day, the love of a child is why I’m here. I will always believe in the love of a child.