PRESSURE

Jay - Syracuse, New York

This I Believe…

Pressure is nothing more than the shadow of great opportunity, the quote by a famous world record setter Michael Johnson. This quote might not be the most know or a common theme heard around the world. However it hits home to me and the entire track and field world. Once known as a God among mere men Johnson blistered as all competition in the 1992 Olympic Games in Atlanta. This and many other world and American records are what made him the most successful track athlete in the US. With such a grand reputation Johnson words are taken and dissected by fans around the nation. This pressure quote has captivated me among other people to strive and alleviate pressure to achieve goals.

The reason I believe in this quote is because I too am a track and field athlete now at the college level hoping to one day be as great as Johnson was. However I o feel pressure to perform. Pressure from coaches, teammates, parents, teachers, and friends to do my best to one day reach an ultimate level. Therefore the way this quote symbolizes opportunity and pressure make me feel positive with this pressure.

Here opportunity simply casts a shadow of pressure. We feel this pressure and think it is a negative thing. However here Johnson shows that because the pressure s the shadow of opportunity we only feel it when we are close to doing something great. All it takes is for us is hard work and a relaxed mind and we can come out of the shadow and we will accomplish the goal.

This quote has taught me to relax pressure only means I have put myself in a situation to be great. Therefore as long as I rely on my great work ethic and natural talent n pressure can hurt me. This helped me a lot my sophomore year her at Syracuse. I was in the middle of my first year of real struggle and the pressure to perform got to me. I fell into a deep depression and soon was not happy with who I was as a person. I then found this quote and put it next to my bed looking at it each night. Soon I realized how lucky I was to feel pressure, hat I was among few with the talents to feel this pressure. I have now come out of this dark time and truly came out f the shadow of pressure with the help of this amazing quote by this amazing man.