Best Friends are Family

Kristen - USA

Today’s society seems to take a lot of concepts at face value when in fact they can have a variety of meanings or be more in depth than what meets the eye. The concept of family is one idea that I believe has a lot than more than meets the eye. My unique family background has opened my perspective to many different concepts of family. The typical concept and definition of family focuses on the idea that a family is comprised of parents, their children, and any blood related relatives, but I believe differently. I believe that family is comprised of a person’s support network, which can contain blood relatives and non-blood related people like friends, and in my case, my best friend Brittany.

I’m a part of a family with a mother, a father, a few siblings, and many other blood relatives, but even they aren’t a typical family. I live in New York with my mother and stepfather who has three children while my father lives across the U.S. in Washington with my step mother, my two half brothers, my step brother, and my half sister. Technically I’m an only child, so I know what it feels like to be the only one in the house and independent of others, but technically I also have a lot of siblings so I know what sibling relationships are like. Even though these people are my family and I’m very close with them and love them very much, there are a few other people in my life that I love very much and consider to be family.

My best friend Brittany is easily considered family. She is part of my support network and influences my life just like anyone’s family would. The past few years in school Brittany really showed me that friends can be family even if they’re not in the same place. She goes to school in Pittsburgh, but she calls me every week to see how everything is going and I do the same for her. This summer we didn’t get to see each other, but when I had surgery she was calling my boyfriend to make sure that I was ok since she couldn’t physically be there for me. We call each other to figure out problems with boys, school, and blood-related family, and we value each other’s opinions and feelings. I think this sort of friendship is the reason why they can evolve and become family even though they aren’t related by blood. I truly believe that Brittany is my family and that even though unrelated friends can be and are family if they care, support and love each other.