Companionship

Katie - Centerville, Ohio

I believe that everybody needs somebody. I believe every person needs to have a friend; just one person that they know will always be there. It doesn’t always have to be the same person, it can change, but there has to be a feeling of mutual caring and compassion for the other. I believe that is the only thing a person needs for true happiness.

I have realized in my own life that the times I am saddest are the times I feel alone. Sometimes it appears as though everyone is always busy with someone else, and there’s no one left for me. Even out of my best friends, four particular girls whom I am extraordinarily close with, there are instances when I feel disconnected. Obviously they each have their own lives outside ourselves, and I understand this because as do I of course. But while things like my ridiculous amount of schoolwork, my job, and soccer consume the majority of my time, I feel like I slip away from them. I’ll blink my eyes and suddenly something will be different. Maybe a two of them will have gotten in a fight, gotten really close, or maybe even someone’s parents are talking of divorce. We all make the effort to remain in close contact, getting together whenever any of us are free and texting nonstop, but it’s not always so easy. Whether it’s color guard, gymnastics, swimming, or basketball there’s always something we have to ourselves that keeps us

Gregg 2

apart. Don’t get me wrong, I mean space is a good thing, but sports can be pretty demanding and it’s not always easy to find time for other things. So while other things are occupying my friends, I feel a bit like I’m on my own, and that can get me down sometimes. When I do seem to be connected to them though, everything’s all right. My friends to me are like the propeller of a boat. Without them I feel lost, but with them I can accomplish anything. I feel like I can handle whatever happens to come my way because I know I’ll have someone to talk to at the end of everyday that will listen and can relate. My favorite way to spend my time is just to talk to someone, about nothing or everything. We can go on for hours, and it always puts me in a lasting good mood, no matter how I was feeling before. The comfort of their presence in my life allows me to get past anything that might make me falter, and helps me feel like I’m really not alone. There’s no substitute for feeling like you belong, and that feeling has the ability to make me completely ok with myself. I believe that if a person feels wanted and cared for by another person, they can know happiness.