Believe the Unbelievable

Matt - Peoria, Arizona

Living the life of military child is tougher then it seems. The constant pressure of moving and adjusting requires a flexible type of personality with the abilities to meet new people and fit in. As soon as you adjust and make friends, you move. Or they move. The same type of personality is required in a far different place. The game of baseball requires quick thinking, adjustments, and first and foremost the ability to try your hardest regardless of the score.

I have lived all over the U.S. and the world. Throughout my 17 year life I have moved 6 times, both to places in the U.S. and out of it. Each move brings a different adjustment and new obstacles to overcome. Some problems are easy to overcome while others are considerably tougher.

In 2004, the same year I moved from Germany where I had lived for 2 years back to the United States, the Boston Red Sox produced a feat never accomplished in the history of Major League Baseball. After trailing the New York Yankees 3-0 in a best of 7 series they stormed back in a big way. The Red Sox won the next 4 games and took the series. They later went on to win the World Series.

The 2004 Boston Red Sox did the unthinkable, despite facing an impossible challenge. I have faced similar obstacles that have taught me to never give up.

Throughout the Red Sox incredible run, I was going through challenges of my own. Trying to get to know friends. Making and effort to fit in. Attempting to succeed in school. All of this after another life changing move.

Was it hard? You bet it was. But that simple fact didn’t stop the Red Sox, and it didn’t stop me. Perseverance and trust in your close friends and family are as clutch as a David Ortiz at-bat in the 9th. The people who care about you guide you through the tough times.

Obstacles are something everyone will run into at some point in their life. It’s human nature to back down and accept defeat. Tell that to Curt Schilling, who pitched game 6 of that series with a bloody torn tendon in his right ankle, barley able to stand. He didn’t get the memo. It’s the hard work, and the ability to never give up that brings you satisfaction, not to mention it might get you a World Series championship.