Practice Makes Perfect

Tyler - Peoria, Arizona
Themes: sports, work

I believe that in order for you to be the best at your “game” you need to practice what you are doing. When I was younger, I would always be waiting for my dad to get home to take me to hockey practice. That is something I looked forward to all the time. At the rink, I always had to have the same mindset at practice as I did during the games so that I would not just give up. My coaches always used to tell us to practice like you are in a game. My teammates and I always thought that it was sort of weird how he told us that. When it came to the games though we definitely knew what was going on. With all the work I had put in at my 5:00 a.m. practice sessions and team practices at night it actually paid off for me because I had made the best team for ice hockey in Arizona for my age. I think that is when I finally realized what practice makes perfect means. Look at Wayne Gretzky for instance; he is one of the best hockey players to ever step foot on ice. What do those guys practice for? Sure some of them do it for the money, but mostly all of the other players do it for the love of the game. Usually when people have a deep desire for something they like they do, they try hard during practice so they can be the best at their game, which is hockey. Nowadays hockey is mostly on the backburner. Recently I have started racing my Kawasaki Teryx in the UTV class at some of the local races here in Arizona. The only way my dad would let me start racing is if I started going to practice. I did what he said and he let me race. In my first race I got third place which I was actually pretty happy about but I know that I can do better than that. In order for me to succeed in this sport I will have to take lots of time and go to the track for practice whenever I can. The more I go to practice and have the mindset of an actual race the faster I will be during the real race. Because of my dad always telling me to practice and that “practice makes perfect,” I know what I have to do to exceed in things that I do and in life in general.