Generation Y and thier Influence on Technology

Doreen - Syracuse, New York
Themes: children, science

Generation Y and their influence on technology

Many employers such as managers, CEO’s and even co workers may think that Generation Y individuals are all about technology. Just because they walk around with iPods, cell phones, iPhones and different electronic devices, doesn’t mean that they are not capable of becoming successful. Generation Y individuals are members born from 1982 to 2002, today they are known as the millennial or technology savvy group. Even though Generation Y has a major influence on technology, I believe that they are still capable of becoming successful and can use their computer knowledge to help other employers. Generation Y individuals are said to be early adopters of technology and that is why they are so good at using it. In a recent study by the Pew Foundation, Generation Y became computer literate at the age of 8. This is because they were surrounded by Nintendo games and cell phones. Generation Y individuals use technology to communicate; one of the main resource is Facebook, which is a social network where you can upload photos and gain updates on what your friends are up to. It was stated in the New York Times that most college students use text messaging as the main resource. I feel that Generation Y can pass their computer skills to someone else that is willing to learn. In our workforce today, many staff members are not familiar with technology; they are still working with the “old way”, which is writing things down and sending them to a neighbor or friend. For instance, while working at a firm this summer I realized that most workers did not use computers, I cannot imagine this going on for years, our society is going to change and writing things down in a notepad will eventually be gone. Technology is what we all use to communicate today, whether it is in marketing, socializing, or blogging. Generation Y individuals can make a change and even come up with their tutorial program that will help a company.

To conclude, I believe that Generation Y is not all about technology savvy, or demanding. On the flip side they are young, talented and have energy to work. Having computer skills is one of the best experiences, everyone shops online, make orders and even view a product. I believe that without computer skills a company cannot be successful in many ways. One of the most important thing that I took away from my internship was, always remember who you are trying to market to, if it is a Generation Y, the market plan most contain blogging, social networks or technology sources if not it would hurt your marketing budget. However, people can think that Generation Y individuals are technology savvy, but at the end of the day they will benefit from using a Generation Y help.