That’s Mine, All Mine

Megan - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: purpose

I believe the life I live is the life I should love; it is mine only and it is up to me to make it beautiful.

I’m sounding selfish aren’t I? If I look at it that way I am thinking only of myself, but there is good intention behind why being egocentric is sometimes a good thing. Life was handed to me, and I intend to take the privilege and use it wisely.

For the past 17 years, I have been given just about everything materialistic I have ever wanted or imagined. My parents dressed me in Ralph Lauren as a kid and drove me to my private school in “Snotts-dale.” Christmases and birthdays were always filled with gifts and vacations were packaged with activities I didn’t know existed. My after school hobby went from privates in piano to flute to oboe. Eventually, my mom signed me up for dance lessons which I still heavily participate in today resulting in tuition and costs equivalent to a college education. The giving and taking didn’t stop there, and it especially didn’t stop there after I started driving a Beamer then a Mercedes.

It kept going with life lessons no amount of money could have ever bought including my principle of life: I choose how I want to live my life, because most importantly, it’s mine. My parents, friends, and all who go in and out are there for support and guidance. Whether I’m winning a check from a dance competition or disappointed in a poor grade I receive, they help shape my thoughts; although, good or bad, I am the one ultimately making the decisions and taking action.

With that said, I know I can achieve all that is seemingly intriguing to me. My determination is birthed via examples of strong inspirations like my mom who was one of the only to graduate college in her family, or my friend Marc who passed away 18 years young always excited for what the day would bring. It may not always understand why I keep going, or if I’ll succeed, but my desire surpasses all lack of enthusiasm. I see that in myself after experimenting with all sorts of interests finally being introduced to dance, which has become a heart beating love of mine. Willpower equals passion.

Lastly, I know my life won’t always stick to the sheet protected agenda I envisioned, but my outlook will always be pink, bright, and pretty like the Ralph Lauren polo I adored wearing. My optimism has cemented itself within my spirit and no Mercedes could run it over.

Throughout all the spending, my parents taught and helped me find the values and philosophical lessons I will never forget or take for granted. I see why they raised me the way they did: not to spoil me but to give me experiences from which I have gained perspective and reminders of how I will live my life that’s mine, all mine.