Prayers Are Always Answered

Jamie - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: addiction

My uncle is one of the most caring, funny, and loving people you could meet. But you would have never guessed that up until about 6 years ago. He had always been into drugs and alcohol and was an addict and his life was just heading in the wrong direction. I was never told exactly what was going on, all I knew is that my uncle was into bad things and that he’d never really been part of my life. Sometimes, I’d overhear my mom talking on the phone, but I never fully understood the extent of what was happening.

From the time I was little, my mom and I would pray every night for my uncle to be able to be a part of our lives again. And pray that’d he’d realize what he’s doing to himself, and everyone around him. It seemed like the more we prayed, the worse he’d become, but we still prayed for him. It got to the point where my mom had told him that he couldn’t see my brother or I anymore until he straightened out.

That drive that was only supposed to take a couple hours, turned out to be a 24-hour disappearance. Nobody knew where he was nor could we get a hold of him. He had gone to pick up drugs for his friend, but instead, used all of them himself and didn’t come back until the next day. We were still praying through all of this. But, something happened to my uncle during those 24 hours. Although he had done all of those drugs that night, he came back and told everyone he’s done with everything. Not just drugs, but even alcohol.

From then on, my uncle has been a huge part of my life and such a great influence to me. He is always looking out for me, always comes by to say hi to us, or just calls to say hi. With everything that my uncle was going through, and what he was putting his family through, no one ever thought that it would stop. But, that one night made him realize everything, and his whole life changed in an instant. And behind that memorable instant, were our prayers. I believe that prayers are always answered, even if it takes time.