Tennis Overshadowed

Chester - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: sports

One of the most prestigious sports around the world is tennis. This racquet sport is the second most watched sport in the world right behind soccer. It has a great deal of history behind this old activity, yet it is overlooked in the United States. Football, basketball, and baseball are some of the main sport entertainment in the U.S. and tennis isn’t even in top 5 of the most watched sport. Seems like it isn’t physical enough for the U.S. to be a crowd pleasing sport.

Galvanizing the world in the eighteen hundreds, tennis has humanity wanting to play this sport. Revolutionaries of the sport such as John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, and Andre Agassi helped change the way we play it today. Today’s players such as Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and Novak Djokovic are starting to change the way we play again. These players have become more powerful smarter and much quicker to dominate everyone else in the field. In reality, we work really hard without any timeouts, half times, or coaches during a match. We don’t get the luxury of signing a contract for a team and earning thirty million dollars, but we have to earn our money by playing through numerous tournaments. Tennis players play year around with about one to two weeks between tournaments, with diverse court surfaces that all act differently.

In the United States, people believe it is a sport for people who don’t like to get hurt because it is not as physical as other sports, but tennis is more physically demanding then people realize. I always get someone who says tennis is a girls sport, or tennis is an effortless sport. All I say is I’ll take you out on the courts, and make you suffer. We tennis players just don’t get the respect we deserve. People say tennis utilizes very little power, but I say trying to hit one hundred and fifty six miles per hour is kind of powerful if you ask me. A tennis competitor has the speed and quickness of a sprinter and the punishing power like a juggernaut. I believe that tennis should be respected just a little more. Give it a chance it is really fun and plus you get all the playing time you want.