Never Give Up on Oneself

Shuyang - Syracuse, New York

My mother is the example that I always learned from. Besides bringing me up with her heart, she also shared a lot of useful life philosophies with me. Among them, the one that I most value is never giving up on oneself.

One day of 10 years ago, when I pushed open the door of my parent’s bedroom as usual, I never imagined I would see the scene like that: my mum was crying in dad’s arms. In my memory, mum was always a strong woman who would never be floored by any difficulty. I bombarded my parents with questions “What was wrong?” “What happened on earth?”“Why are you crying”. Mum stood there like a stone statue, shedding tears quietly. Dad did not want to give me any panic, so he tried to say to me in an easy tone:” Nothing serious. Your mother’s superior just fired her.” By then, my mother had been in that position for over 15 years. Though I was young, I understood what being fired meant to my mother, a middle-aged woman with only high school education. I thought she would never work anymore. However, I was wrong. After that day, she actively collected recruit information in the newspaper. She once sold kitchen fittings, later became a medicine agent and now is focus on investment in the stock market. By sticking to the philosophy of never giving up on oneself, she received her new career life.

My mother’s experience inspires me. In last semester, I took a course called understanding music. It was recommended by my friend and she told me it was about basic music knowledge and would be quite simple. However, I found it to be the other way around. I had to read a lot of intricate materials in English and the exams were difficult. As a Chinese student, I never tried that before. At one time, I had a strong desire of dropping the class for fear that my GPA would be low. Then my mother’s figure occurred to my mind. I asked myself, “Why I cannot hold on just as her did?” Since then, I kept hard working in the class.. I forced myself to read the textbook over and over again until I caught the meaning of every sentence. I looked up for background information of every proper noun in music area that I was not familiar with. I discussed problems with my professor and classmates and was engrossed in every class. Not too surprisingly, I did a good job at last.

There will always be difficulties or challenges that we have never met or even imagined before. However, if we choose to evade them, we can never make any progress. I want to be an overmatch in my life instead of an evader. I have to keep going on. Therefore, I will never give up on myself, and I firmly believe this philosophy will finally lead me to success.