A Single Scene

Janette - Centerville, Ohio

Ratatouille is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, this I believe. Ever since I saw the movie, I’ve been fan, even reaching to the point of hanging a calendar of the movie on the wall. However, my being a fan does not stem from the fact that Pixar is an animation genius, the story, or the characters although those are not points to be ignored. What endeared me to this movie was a scene that stuck in my head from watching it for the first time in a hospital bed, a scene that stuck in memory despite my drugged out state at the time. In it, Remy and his father are fighting. In response to something his father said, Remy tells him, “Change is nature, Dad. The part we can influence. And it starts when we decide.” He turns to leave his father, who asks him, “Where are you going?” Remy turns to face him with a determined look in his eyes, and states, “With luck, forward.”

At the time of seeing this scene, it meant little. But upon the second time seeing it, it held a different meaning. About a month had passed, and that was enough time for my life to turn into what felt like a tire stuck in the mud. What does a tire stuck in the mud do? It goes nowhere. My life had fallen to pieces in about a month’s time, as I fought the impossible battle to pull my life back together after a long sickness and the surgery that followed. What I loss was a boyfriend and any good grades I had that school year. What was left was an uncertain future that promised to bring more stress and pain to my life.

Seeing that scene rekindled hope. I was reminded of certain things, such as that I did have options. My world was not limited to how things had been laid out, all I needed was the conscious effort on my part. That I had known all along, what truly bothered me was the unstable future. Would I be okay? Those words, “With luck,” echoed, in my head. But I wouldn’t even have the chance unless I tried to push and move forward with my life.

So I did, and I turned out alright.

The scene might have been meaningless at any other time, but it had happened at the right time. I’m not saying things are perfect, I still have issues, and I still don’t know if what I wish for in my future is going to happen. Maybe, as long as I keep moving forward and adapting to changes life throws at me. With luck, it’ll happen. Even if it doesn’t, there will be something else for me, because I can change and find a different path.

Ratatouille is the best movie I’ve ever seen for teaching this to me. It will always be one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.