Someday I can

Susan - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: work

Someday I can

I believe in strong will and endeavor. Someday, the steady efforts will bring back the desirable results. The more strenuous the process is, the happier I will be with the outcome. If I never experience the arduous process, then I can never experience the feelings of satisfaction.

When I was twelve years old, I went to watch the high school football game for the first time in my life. It was a chaotic place with many people, but a cheerful atmosphere. I played soccer since I was very little, so I wasn’t interested at all in a new sport, where I didn’t even know the rules. However, during half time, something suddenly caught my attention. It was a group of people, who wore the same clothes, and carried shiny objects. They were called, the “marching band.” The exciting music and the passionate atmosphere carried away every bit of my attention. In the midst of my amazement, my eyes caught the instrument that played the fast beat, absorbing the crowd’s cheer. That’s when I knew what “love at first sight” was all about.

The next day, I found a music store, near our house, and started to take drum lessons. The feelings of holding the drum sticks in my hands, for the first time, were very smooth and pleasant. I practiced every single day so I improved within a speed of light.

After 3 arduous years of practicing, finally, I enrolled in high school. However, regarding the size of the school, and the competition between the students, it was a very rare chance that a freshman can get a spot in the snare line. Hence, I had to wait another year to try out.

Finally, my sophomore year, full of anxiety, I entered the audition room. Taking a deep breath, thinking back to my four years, I started to relax my hands and played the audition piece. It wasn’t perfect, but very satisfying. After the try outs were over, the director called a group of kids to talk about the results. He called me in by myself, at the very last moment and started the conversation with complements. He congratulated me with a spot in the snare line. I was overwhelmed by the excitement. I was speechless. I felt sorry for the other students; but I was also proud to be in the snare line with the 6 other veterans, who were all senior guys.

I am currently a 17 years old girl. Besides being in the drum line, I have another dream. One day, I hope to be in a perfect white coat, helping sick people who are in need of my help. It’s an incomparable dream to a 12 year old girl’s; however with the equal amount of passion, I believe that someday I can achieve my ultimate goal with strong will and endeavor.