Life is a Challenge

Joshua - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe in challenging yourself and others on a regular basis. Challenges make oneself stronger physically and mentally. I believe that any great success that I have accomplished in life has been a challenge and I am more proud of myself for overcoming these difficult situations. By not always taking the easiest path, I will be able to be the best person that I am capable of being.

One of the greatest accomplishments in my life has been pushing myself to complete my Bar Mitzvah training and ceremony. I have never been the type of person that enjoys public speaking or performing in front of vast amounts of people. I had to endure approximately six months of weekly lessons to review for my Bar Mitzvah. Once the day finally arrived for me to lead the service in front of the one-hundred fifty attendants to my ceremony, I was extremely anxious. Although I was nervous, I realized it was a challenge that I could overcome. I did overcome this challenge and my friends and family were proud and impressed by this accomplishment. Overcoming challenges can give anyone a great sense of pride similar to what it did to me on the day of my Bar Mitzvah.

A Bar Mitzvah might not be an everyday event, but there are many challenges on a smaller level that can give you the same sense of pride and accomplishment. I believe it is good to challenge myself, friends, and opponents athletically when I am competing in a sport. The sport that I have enjoyed playing my entire life has been tennis. Whether I am just playing with a friend or competing in a tournament match, I play with intensity in order to challenge my opponent. Whoever wins the match will feel proud about the victory for dealing with that challenge.

Challenging myself and friends academically is a great everyday challenge. If I were to receive a below average grade on a test or quiz for myself, I should work hard to challenge myself the next time to receive a much higher grade. If I see a friend struggling in a subject, it is a great feeling to posses once you have helped them or challenged them to do better. It is the type of feeling that everyday challenges let you receive, because you know you overcame that difficulty.

It doesn’t matter whether you are dealing with a daily occurrence or a major dilemma. If you deal with the challenges the correct way, then you will feel good about yourself for doing so. I hope to continue challenging myself so that I am sure to perform at the best of my ability as an athlete, friend, student, and as a member of society.