Wanna Lose Weight?

Jordan - Dayton, Ohio

Wanna Lose Weight?

“Lose Weight in Ten Minutes,” “The Miracle Weight-Loss Pill” and “Get a Sexier Body”, are titles that appear on millions of magazine covers. Even though magazines chose to promote these ideas, I chose to believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I was younger, I never cared about my weight or how I looked. However, as I got older my weight and image had become more important, even to my family. This past year, I was a victim to the idea that I had to be skinny or something was wrong with me. Any flaw I noticed on my body would drive me insane. It only got worse; soon my parents began to say things like, “Do you really need to eat that?”, “Maybe you should go on a diet.”, and “You look a lot heavier than last year.” I became panicky, lost my appetite and my stomach would plummet every time I ate around my family. After dieting and working out as my parents instructed I do, I went to weight myself. No change. What did I do wrong? Ran everyday, ate healthy and still I weighted the same. When my parents asked how much I lost, I told them nothing. Inside I felt like a disappointment and despised the way I looked even more.

Few months went by and I still felt like a giant blimp walking around. My parents kept bothering me about my body and to top it off adding pressure to get a job. So, I turned to the (scientifically proven to reduce weight) weight-loss pills. Instructions: take one to two pills at a time with a sixteen-ounce bottle of water, thirty minutes before each meal. Seemed simple enough to me; however, I did not account for the side effects and possible damage that these pills could cause. Apparently, these diet pills had about two servings of coffee in them. I felt over energized, anxious and could not sleep. Not to mention the guilt trip that soon came after taking them. Finally, after many guilt trips, I needed to tell someone about the pills. I turned to my older brother, Tyler, and “spilled the beans”. He told me to discontinue taking the pills, stop caring about what dad and mom were saying and to think about what I felt before anything started happening. I realized that before I was me. I appreciated me body; even my legs, butt, stomach, thighs and arms. Most importantly, I loved the happy-go-lucky girl I was before.

No longer do I take pills, weigh myself after meals or even care about what others think. My body is mine; no one else can have it. No one can appear the same, be the same or feel the same; which, is why everyone is beautiful in his or her own way. For that reason, I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.