When Life Gives You Lemons.

Hillary - Centerville, Ohio

I believe in making the best of your situation. I agree that it sounds cliché, but these are the words I constantly have to remind myself. I didn’t lose a friend and I don’t have terminal cancer. I just have an incurable disease that I have to struggle with everyday of my life and as crazy as it sounds, I feel lucky enough to have it and know that I can still have a good life. I have to make my life count. I have to make every day of my life worth it.

When I was fifteen I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, a digestive disease. I discovered I had ulcers throughout almost my entire digestive tract. I was diagnosed after many tests that used up an entire summer. I felt as if I were forced to grow up through all of this. I had to let all of my fears of needles, anesthesia, and hospitals be pushed aside. The colonoscopies, endoscopies, barium x-rays, cat scans, MRI’s, all were unrecognizable to a high school freshman. I also developed anemia, an iron deficiency, making me fatigued, dizzy, and low on blood. Life was unbearable. At times, I would look up and yell at God demanding an answer to why this had to happen to me. I felt as if I had lost all hope, but then I started to really think about it and I realized that being depressed wasn’t helping. I also realized that I’m not alone and other kids in the United States have this disease and know exactly what I am going through.

My friends sympathize with me about my struggle, but they will never really know. They don’t understand what it feels like to have to take fifteen pills everyday, to miss important events because it isn’t physically possible for me to go. Although they don’t know what I’m going through, they do something else to contribute. My friends do exactly what I want them to do for me. They keep me “normal”, by dragging me out of my bed when I feel so sick and forcing me to live my life. Every time this happens, I realize how much stronger I am than this stupid disease.

I realize that my disease may seem unfair to some, but I am trying to use this illness to my advantage. I realize that I am capable of anything. I believe I can do anything my heart desires, whenever it desires. When I feel really good, I have to do everything I am able to do, plus more. Even when I feel bad, I have realized you still have to do everything you want and also help the others who haven’t realized this yet, otherwise you are not controlling your own life. I want to be on top of the world at all times. So maybe what I believe isn’t “making the best of your situations”, maybe what I believe is that your situations make the best of you.