The Key to Survival

Ameer - Dayton, Ohio
Themes: change

The Key to Survival

I believe that there are many universal keys to survival for a living organism such as food and shelter, but one is commonly forgotten even though it is as important if not more important then the rest. What I speak of is the ability to adapt.

Adaptation is a necessity for every living thing to survive whether it is adapting for pleasure or to avoid death. A chameleon changes its color to avoid a predator. A human, like me, adapts to his rapidly changing environment to make it more suitable. I had to go through an adaptation that was so large that most adults don’t go through an adaptation of its size and magnitude, and at the time I was only eight. My family and I moved from my birth country Pakistan to the U.S. eight years ago. This was a drastic change for my family and I to go through, we had to adapt to new people, customs, places and languages, basically a whole new world. First it was tough, but gradually my family and I adapted to this exiting new country with the help of family and friends both old and new. If I would not have adapted I don’t know what would have happened, but it definitely would not have been good. After that experience I have gone through many other changes and adaptations both minor and major. I have moved four more times after my initial immigration to the U.S., all have resulted in facing new people and experiences both good and bad. However, I have adapted through these changes every single time, sometimes it has been tough other times not so much, but every single time I have adapted.

Adaptation leads to a variety of new experiences that a person might have thought they would never experience. It is our effective weapon against new changes that lets us move on. We can use it conquer any and all changes to achieve maximum contentment and happiness. Change is a common part of life, how you handle it makes the difference, so for all living organisms whether they are large or minute, adaptation is the key to survival.