I believe in the power of prayer

Mary Jo - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Age Group: 65+

I believe in the power of prayer. There is great power, great peace, and great strength in prayer. It enables us to listen to the voice of God, to reach out and to help those in need. Everyday of my life, I work with the poor; the mentally ill, the physically handicapped, the young, the old, the children. Every one of them was someone’s baby once; someone’s daughter, someone’s son. They had the same hopes and the same dreams as you and I do here today. But because of circumstances in their lives, their hearts and their dreams are broken. What they need from us, all of us now, is our love and our compassion, not our judgment. Listening to that voice of God in our life will help us reach out to the community, wherever we are. It will help us to do right, to love what is good, to walk humbly with our God. To always remember to be kind. In my work with the children I teach them that “kindness is cool.” It’s a wonderful thing to reach out to help those that we encounter every day. Our smile and outstretched arm can be the beginning of a miracle in the unspoken need of another person’s heart. I was walking down the street one day, it was a cold winter day, and the streets were crowded when I encountered a woman who was weeping. I said to her, what can I do for you. I gave her a quick hug and she said, “you did it.” Everybody is wanting somebody to reach out and help them. No matter where we are; in our neighborhood, our community, people want hope. And hope isn’t just a wish, it’s a promise that God will help us. God works through people. We are all channels of His peace and instruments of His love. And we are all called to make the difference in the life of another person. Our lives are shaped by those who love us and those who refuse to love us. What you do to the least of my brethren, you do unto me. So if you see something that needs to be done, do it. Something that needs to be changed, change it. If you see someone that needs to be helped, help them. And remember always that God will give us the strength and that strenght comes from prayer. We are responsible in our lives for the effort, not the outcome. The outcome is in God’s hands. So, if we remember to believe in the power of prayer it can be a great tool to keep our hearts pure and open to the needs of those around us and it reminds us that God’s love and mercy will endure forever. The family that prays together, stays together. God bless you, amen.