Everything Happens For A Reason

Austin - island lake, Illinois
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Each person I meet on campus, who sits next to me in a class and that fender bender I was in last week are all experiences that were meant to help me become a better person.

This is an incredibly positive way to look at life. Knowing that every experience is meant to help you means that even the terrible, horrifying things in my life are only there to make me stronger. Many times when my day is terrible, I just have to remind myself that everything is going to get better and that this experience will help me to see the goodness in my life. Sometimes it works. I calm down, take a deep breath and push on through the day. Other times, it is still a struggle trying to see how anything good can come from a situation. But this is a belief that has been a part of me for as long as I can remember. My parents used to whisper it in my ear every time I came home from school crying or got made fun of by the kids in the neighborhood. I guess knowing that everything CAN be positive is a huge difference when you are feeling helplessly lost in the world.

Sometimes it is hard to keep this mindset in the midst of all the suffering going on around me. When I was younger and my grandfather died, and later when both my grandmother and uncle passed as well, it was an incredibly hard to still believe that all of this was happening for a reason. That some good would come from the sadness. But the experience made my family a tighter unit, and bonded us closer than ever.

This belief that everything happens for a reason is the fuel that keeps me going on hard or boring days when everything just seems to be going wrong. It gives me the courage to do the unexpected and the drive to be the best person I can be.