My parents are truly great

Heather - San Antonio, Texas

Without my parents I am not sure who I would be today. My parents have always played an important role in my life. I did not always think they were right, but as I have gotten older I have realized how smart they really are. I did not always take their advice with an open mind. Most of the time I figured they did not even know what they were talking about.

My parents always had an open door policy with my siblings and I. I respected the fact that they never lied to me about their successes and mistakes. I remember having “the discussion” with my dad about absitenence. He shared stories with me and expressed to me how important marriage and relationships are. I did not take to heart what he expressed to me then, but after meeting my husband and being married for almost four years I can honestly say I would give my children the exact speech he gave me.

My dad has been the most amazing father and devoted husband. He has cheered for me when I was on top of the world and comforted me when I was down. He never gave me the “I told you so” speech though he had several opportunities. He always led by example and would be the first to admit he was wrong. I know it is true now that a woman will choose a husband that has the same values as her father.

My mother has always been the strongest member of our family. She was always the first to rise in the morning and the last to go to bed. She gave me the morals and values I carry with me today. She taught me everything from baking to putting on make-up. I hope to be half the wife and amazing mother she was to my siblings and I.

Although I would never go back to my teenage years, I truly miss all the time spent with my parents. I took for granted they were always there. Even though I am grown, married, and now have a home of my own, my parents will always be there if anything were to happen. My parents have become my best friends and my role models. They inspire me to be strong, independent, a good wife, and a compassionate Christian. I hope one day I can be an amazing parent as they were to me.