Size of a heart, not the body

Sara - Jefferson City, Missouri

Size of a heart, not the body;

Being only 26 years old, I have seen a lot. I have seen the way the world looks. I am not talking about the blue of the sky, the green grass, the massive dark waters, or the towering mountains. I am talking about the ever so talked about matter of size.

We all know that the human race is very large in numbers and very different in size. So why are there so many infomercials telling us that we have to be a certain shape? To be a model you have to be at least 5’10” and 90 lbs. The clothing industry is the same way. Certain styles only come in the small, tall framed individuals. Why else do a lot of, I hate to say, girls do and try anything to make them this so-called supposed ideal size. No matter how big their heart and soul might be.

I have learned that just because I happen to be 5’2” and, dare I say, 150 lbs, with a shapely body, I am not limited. I am not defined by my body, but by my heart. I feel that I am a very sexy woman. Maybe even sexier than those underfed models. My heart and soul make me sexy. Even though I am not of the ideal size and shape, I believe I have the ideal size for my heart. People say “beauty is only skin deep,” it is true. My beauty comes from my heart, not the size of my body.

From early on I knew all this, but didn’t really feel it to be true until I had my first child. I was only 19 years old when he came into the world with a hole in his heart. I wondered what I did wrong. Then I realized I didn’t do anything. He is now six years old and he is very short for his age. He doesn’t see it. He has the biggest heart and is loved by all that meet him. I looked into myself and realized that I too have a big heart and I have friends everywhere I go. I am the right size for myself.

I believe that we are only as beautiful as our heart is, not our body.