i believe that words can hurt!

Brittany - port charlotte, Florida
Themes: setbacks

I truly believe that words can hurt a person and completely ruin their day. Do you remember the high school prom? The preparation for it was hectic right?

In the morning, I woke up with great hopes for the day and with a dazzling smile on my face. Tried on my dress, just to make sure it looked how I imagined it to look. Then, time to go to the gym, because of course, I wanted to look my absolute best. Right after, I went home, freshened up, and went straight to the hair salon.

They put some highlights in it, along with a couple of low lights, put it up in an elegant bun, with a couple of pieces dangling out, beautifully curled. Which made it look even more elegant. The stylist put just enough hair spray in it hold my hair in place, but not so much that it wouldn’t flow.

Then over to the nail stylist I went. Where she decorated my nails to absolute perfection, but behind me, someone had walked past, said a rude comment to herself, about how I looked. Maybe she didn’t know that I could hear her, maybe she did. She snickered, then walks away. In my head, I wondered why she had said that.

Trying to blow it off, I went over to the make-up department, but the whole time the lady was doing my make-up, I couldn’t stop thinking of that comment. That one little phrase. Whether she was jealous or not, kidding or not, I didn’t know. All I knew was she made an insult, and it was about me. Besides, I thought I looked great, but apparently, she didn’t.

Who knew how many other people thought the way she did, and in my head, I started to freak out a little. When I looked in the mirror after my make-up was finished being applied, I noticed all the shades were perfect, and I knew it would match my dress.

As I left, I took a long look in the wall mirror, thought of the comment again, and wondered, why?

When I arrived home, I asked my dad how I looked. He said I looked good, but was he lying, I didn’t know, besides, I didn’t like the word good, and not liking what dad had said, I turn to my mom. I asked her the same question. All she had to say, was I looked fine. Now what kind of word is that? Fine? I hated that word even more than “good”.

I would have rather them have said a different word, I wanted a response such as amazing, astounding, breathtaking, incredible, miraculous, spectacular, or even my favorite word, astonishing. Then I might have believed them a little, but by saying good and fine, it made me feel even worse.

I wanted to make someones heart skip a beat, make them have to catch their breath, maybe even have to brace themselves. That’s how beautiful I wanted to feel, but like always, my dreams were shattered.

When I finally got to my room, I just felt like, “Why do I even try?!?,” and

attempted to hold back the tears, the pain. It hurt so bad. I felt like my heart had been ripped out.

This I do believe, words can hurt a person. People try to say the whole sticks and stones thing, but deep inside, little comments really do hurt. Whether they are intentional or not. They hurt all that same. So watch what you say!