I Believe in Everything

Bob - Queensbury, New York

Of great events and great stories, I have few. I am a white suburban male approaching middle age with the most average of names. My upbringing has been Irish and middle class. I’ve found slightly more success than my parents. I am a musician, writer, husband, father, and computer geek. I’m pretty good at all of the above… not great. I’ve searched and found, lost, and searched again. In these 38 years, I’ve come to a realization:

I believe in everything.

I believe in nothing.

I believe in God, or Allah, the Tao, or the Torah… all and none of the above. I believe in angels and aliens, ghosts and gremlins, nature and nurture, science and theology. It’s all real, and it’s all insufficient. Racial equality and racial identity… nationalism, fundamentalism, universalism, and humanism are all right on, and all wrong.

This life and these times, past lives and old times only scrape the surface of what we’re supposed to see. The universe in which we live is complex beyond our comprehension. It is simple beyond simplification. I believe that we miss the boat by getting on it. By joining one cause we miss the real cause. We miss our cause. We miss the point of existence itself, which is to exist together.

Tunnel vision leads us only through a tunnel. The world is a great expanse. The beauty of humanity is in its diversity. I believe that the way to find our way is through understanding, acceptance, and fun. We need to have fun with each other. We need to enjoy the variance of the human condition.

I think we’re all pretty cool. I think we’re all right. And I know we’re all wrong.

I believe in nothing.

I believe in everything.