The Lazy Man Works the Hardest

James - Westminster, Colorado

The Lazy Man Works the Hardest

Procrastination has always been my worst habit, according to others anyway. However, my laziness has not limited my accomplishments. Because as a good friend once told me ‘the lazy man works the hardest’.

I have thrived under the burden of my procrastination. I am an Eagle Scout and received a ‘4’ on my AP American History test. I earned the rank of Eagle Scout just 3 days before my 18th birthday, the point after which Eagle cannot be earned. Those last few months as a Boy Scout were some of the hardest and most stressful of my life. But the hardships of those weeks made the reward all the sweeter, and by making it tougher to earn I value the award so much more. With less than 4 months to go I still had five merit badges left to earn and my Eagle Project to complete. Some progress had been made on all of the remaining badges and the project but I was quickly running out of time. Week after week crept by with little being accomplished. I knocked off the merit badges slowly as the end of the school year drew near. When school got out, I had one merit badge and my project to complete, plus all of the paper work. I now had just less than two months to get it done with two weeks taken away by the annual family vacation to Oregon and my weekdays taken up by work. The weekend before I left for vacation, I was able to complete my project after 8 hours of hard labor. So we left on vacation with a month left until my eighteenth birthday and one merit badge and some paper work left. I could have finished those remaining requirements over vacation but then I would not be a procrastinator. So I waited until the weekend before my 18th birthday to complete all of my paperwork and the last requirements of my last merit badge. And, with just three days remaining before the deadline of my 18th birthday, I completed my Board of Review and earned the award of Eagle Scout.

Procrastination has made me a better student. As a procrastinator I am always crunched for time, which forces me to think and perform the tasks at hand quickly. In my AP American History class, I procrastinated on nearly every essay assigned until the night before it was due. So when it came to the AP test I was ready to perform quickly and accurately with nearly an hour left and received a ‘4’ thanks to my ability to perform under pressure – a skill I learned from procrastination.

Most people say procrastination is a habit that will drag me down, but I disagree because I believe that the lazy man works the hardest and he who works the hardest goes the farthest.