Baseball

Brett - Elwood, Indiana
Themes: sports

Baseball has been a huge part of my life as long as I can remember. It has taught and reinforced several important life skills. It has introduced me to new things, places, and people that I would not have experienced.

I was born on November, 29, 1991, and the first thing my dad said to the doctor after the delivery was, “Do you think I could take him out and play a little catch?” Some of my first (and best) memories are playing baseball with my dad. Baseball is the main thing that my dad and I have in common. It has created a close bond between us that I wouldn’t change for anything. Don’t get the impression that my mom doesn’t like baseball. She is my biggest fan, and gets more nervous than I do the day of a start. She also tries to make herself useful and help me practice. This summer I was hitting BP, and my mom decided she was going to shag. I hit a line drive right at her and she froze. IT NAILED HER! Her arm was swollen for a week, and I called all my friends to tell them the hilarious news. It’s moments like these that bring a family closer together, even if some involve my mother cussing at me.

Some of my best friends are people that I have played with or been coached by in baseball. I am really close with my current coach. He is like a second dad to me. I still hang out with several of the guys that I have played with in years past. My team is like another family.

Baseball has made it possible to go to many cool places. I have played at University of Kentucky, Victory Field, East Cobb, and several others. I have also gotten to visit Beale Street in Memphis, The Arch, in St. Louis, Lake Michigan, and many other places on off days of tournaments and showcases.

Baseball has also taught me many life lessons. Baseball has taught me that it takes hard work and determination to succeed in anything you do. It has taught me to never be satisfied, no matter how well things are going. I remember one time in Little League I hit two homeruns and threw a no-hitter. When I got back to the car my dad informed me that I shouldn’t try to pull the outside pitch. That’s how my dad has always been about baseball. That has made me a better player and person. Most importantly, baseball has taught me to never take anything for granted. I learned that last season when I tore my UCL. It ended my season, but I worked hard and I am pitching again.

Baseball has had a huge effect on my life. It has made me a better person. It has made me closer with my family, and has enabled me to experience new things. I respect baseball, and love it for everything it has done for me.