God is Everybody’s Best Friend

Samantha - Independence, Ohio

As a girl who has 16 years of age, I can say I believe that no matter what happens in life, God is always on my side. I know from previous experiences that God is never out to get me, but rather, he is there to help me and protect me in every situation even if I think he isn’t. Bad things happen to everyone, but good things come out of every bad situation. God decides what is best for someone, and then he makes it happen.

For example, around July 22, 2007, my cat, Lucky, was nine years old and extremely sick. By July 24th, a Tuesday, he was lying in the same position upstairs the entire day. I tried to pick him up to bring him to his food, but when I did, he cried. I also saw that he was breathing fast. I knew something was wrong, so I brought his food to him so he could eat, but he wouldn’t even take a bite. I told my mom what was going on, so she called the vet and scheduled him to be checked out that day. After the doctor examined Lucky, he told us that my cat was constipated, but they were going to take an X-Ray just to be sure.

When they came back with the prints, it showed that there was supposedly a mass around his heart and lungs that made him not able to breathe normally. The doctor said that it was a form of Feline Lymphoma, common to cats around the age of nine, so he injected my cat with a steroid to help him breathe better for a little while. He said the steroid could last two days, a week, or at most, a month, which was very unlikely. He told us that our best option would be to put him to sleep on Thursday because they were closed on Wednesday. We never put him to sleep because it would be too sad for us at that time, so we took him back home. After two days, I am proud to say that I saved his life; somehow I was able to make him eat. Now, because God helped our family during this situation, my cat is still alive today. My cat did not have cancer.

Ever since my cat was “supposedly” going to die, I realized that everyone is going to die eventually, and life isn’t good and fair all the time. It’s real and it’s difficult, but someway, somehow, I have to get through it, and God is always there to help. This, I believe.