Living Good. So we thought…

Maddie - Plymouth, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

The last day had finally come. Three years had felt like a lifetime. More and more tears came streaming down our faces as last goodbyes were made. I stood there in disbelief. Was it really true? Were my middle school years actually over? It felt like just yesterday we were all running around in our diapers. There was a sense of grief and yet again, a sense of joy. I guess you could say, that, this was the beginning of the rest our lives. That’s when I realized. We really do take life all out too seriously. Why were we all crying? We would obviously all see each other again. This wasn’t the end of the world. That’s when the factors of the simple equation went off in my head. We live to die. We are all going to die one day. No if’s and’s or but’s about it. So what was the point of all this? I thought for a second and it’s this that was brought to words. I believe that our lives should be lived for one purpose; not to be perfect but to be happy. This may not seem appealing to you in any way, but for me it’s in the long run that will matter.

Take this. It really doesn’t make sense to try to be perfect in every way, I mean, it would if we were going to live forever buts let be realistic, were not. I’m not saying don’t make the best out of things but I am saying this, no one is perfect and that is only what makes us unique. So why do we still all have to be the best to live a good life? It shouldn’t be like this.

I think the main cause of this mayhem is the pressure of society. The need to live the dream life is like wanting that cool toy on tv. It’s kinda like this. You know as a kid there was always that one toy that you were dying to have. The one that had all those commercials and if you got it you would just be known as the “cool” kid. So you absolutely had to have it right? Well when you finally get the toy you were in for a big surprise. It actually wasn’t even that great. I think of that to be just like having the dream life. You would love to have everything that the celebrities have right? We probably all would. Yes a million dollars would probably put a smile on your face but all and all it’s not really that big a deal. Life shouldn’t be all about the material things. I think if we just try to forget about those kinds of things we wouldn’t miss out on the greater things in life.

Now this is what always motivates me. They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. Now take a second and think about what that moment will be like. I think that there will be a sense of relief knowing that you actually made it through. I hope not to be on my death bed filing through any regrets whatsoever but to lie there and feel pride in myself. When my life comes to an end, I want to look back and not be sad but feel good about myself because I will have achieved the hard driven purpose; to live and be happy.