A Free Spirit

Lydia - Woodland Park, Colorado
Themes: pleasure

The thing that I believe in is something I learned in Elementary school. I remember recess. I would rush outside, with no thought of anything but the swings. As soon as I was out the door of the building and I wouldn’t get in trouble for it, I would break into a run, trying to get to the swings that went the highest. Running as fast as my legs could carry me, I would finally make it to the swing of my choice. Jumping on the seat and giving myself a shove off the ground with my feet, then pumping my legs hard, going higher and higher. Heart still racing from excitement and then jumping as the swing descends from its highest point. I believe in defying gravity as I point my toes to the sky, sailing upwards. I always wondered if I could go so high that I would swing around the bar, but I never did. I believe in the wind blowing my hair and whipping my face, and contests to see who could get highest first. From, “I know you,” to, “We’re married,” and, “Oh no, we broke up.” I believe in feeling like I’m flying, and no thoughts of coming down. I believe in not having to learn any rules or regulations, and just knowing how. I believe in going faster than the kids chasing the soccer ball, and birds flying. I believe in yelling secrets to my best friend because it’s hard to hear over the rush of the wind. I believe in feeling happiest when my legs are pumping and my arms are gripping the chains. I believe in blisters from gripping the chains so hard to keep from falling off. I believe in smiling so hard, I feel that my cheeks are going to fall off. I believe in tangled hair, dirt-smudged faces, and hands that smell like metal. I believe in laughing and yelling as my stomach drops as the swing returns to earth. I believe in never wanting to stop. I believe in jumping off before I come completely to a halt. I believe nobody is ever too old. I believe in swings.