I Believe in the Power of Friendship

Jessica - Windsor, California

I believe that everybody should have a friend. I moved to Sonoma County at the beginning of third grade and when the first day of school rolled around, I didn’t know anybody. Being the shy person that I am, I was afraid to talk to anybody in the class, and only one person introduced herself to me. Little did I know, she would be the one to get me through the most difficult years of my life, elementary school.

Her name is Mary Kate, and she became my best friend. Third grade was fun and we couldn’t wait for fourth. Mary Kate was gone alot that year. She is paralized from the waist down and has a few other medical conditions that kept her out of school for various reasons that year. When she was able to come to school, we were inseparable.

For some reason, there were two girls who didn’t like me. The two girls started, for lack of a better word, picking on me. It was awful. They managed to turn many other people against me, and they bothered me so much, that I spent most of that year and the following year and a half crying, both at school and at home. They even began to prank call me at my house. That went on until my dad picked up the phone when they were prank calling me one time and told them that if they didn’t stop, he would have a talk with their parents. The calls stopped after that, but they still bothered me at school. My teacher was aware of the problem and I was told, had a few parent teacher conferences with their parents to discuss the issue, but unfortunately that didn’t help. The problem continued until we reached junior high. After that, I didn’t really come into contact with them until high school. One of the girls was nicer to me in high school, we were even on the same team together for a few years and she was great. We didn’t have any problems and we were even friendly towards each other. The other girl I never really saw, even in high school. In fact, I didn’t have any classes with her until this year, and even now, we don’t really talk to each other.

If Mary Kate hadn’t been there in elementary school, I probably would have switched schools almost immediately. Sadly, we aren’t that close anymore. We say hi when we pass each other in the hall, but other than that, we each lead pretty separate lives. She has her friends that she hangs out with and I have an amazing group of friends that I wouldn’t know what to do without. But even though we don’t hang out anymore, I will never forget what she did for me in elementary school and I will always be grateful for the friendship that we shared.