Stickittotheman-itis

Marc - Westminster, Colorado

I believe in teenage angst. I believe that anything your parents say you can’t do must be tried, and anything they say is bad for you, must be done. I believe in staking claim to music they consider noise and laughing at humor seen as childish in their eyes. I believe in one-sided arguments and sticking it to the man. I believe in putting them through the same hell they did with their parents back in the day. I believe in living life as a kid while I still have time and rejecting any attempts made by my guardians to try and mature me too quickly.

The United States of America classifies an adult as anyone above the age of 18. If I am to be charged as a minor and treated as such until that age, I plan to make the most of it. My parents believe otherwise. To them, I am an intelligent, trustworthy young man, capable of making good decisions and turning down the right path as I face crossroads. I agree to an extent, but unfortunately for them, they have not successfully brainwashed me and I have somehow been able to form my own opinions and take my own risks in this overly-protective world. Maybe it’s Hollywood and its glamorization of the teenage lifestyle. Or maybe it’s my inner child, half-suppressed by the young man, that wishes to, for once, forget about rules and laws and just live.

I argue with my parents, maybe not as much as others, but still. Whenever an argument seems to be turning for the worse, the obvious answer is to raise the voice. That always helps. My favorite phrase in a sadly one-sided argument: Humor me!!! The easiest way to getting what you want: lie. The truth is overrated. Lying is much simpler and saves time by avoiding a potential argument because if you truly want to make an appearance at that questionable party, it’s best not to even chance it by asking your parents. While parents hold all the cards, the smartest bet is to fold and allow them to take the pot, but we are too proud. We must challenge their authority, no matter how futile our efforts may seem, for we know we are slowly chipping away at their determination to control our lives.

As a teenager, there are many things one must know. Life is not fair, it sucks and nothing ever goes your way, ever. Everyone is out to get you. Nothing ever seems to go right and that is because God, teachers, and anyone over the age of 25 has it in for you and only you. Parents are put on this Earth for two reasons, to say no and to embarrass you; that’s it, nothing else. The Federal government does not care about you; they are too old to remember what it’s like to be young. That’s why all the laws are designed to rob you of your youthful enthusiasm and spirit. With all of these parental and institutional impediments, defiance becomes essential in maintaining your teenage-hood.

I believe in teenage angst.