Life 101

Phil - Littleton, Colorado

The following was written in response to another person’s belief statement which stated in general that this life is nothing but pain, grief, hardship, and sadness:

Life includes almost constant adversity in some form or another.

This adversity takes many forms. It can be physical injury or illness.

It can be the loss of a friend or loved one, or the loss of a love relationship, or the failure of a love relationship to come into existence.

This adversity can take the form of a variety of disappointments from the failure of expected or desired events to occur, or from the failure to succeed on hopes for a variety of accomplishments. It can be in the form of experiencing hate from others. The list goes on.

In all this adversity, life includes some positive aspects. One can encounter beautiful people, scenery, food, and experiences. One can encounter love in all of its many forms. One can sometimes experience overcoming the adversity of life’s negative problems.

All the while one is enjoying the positive aspects of life and trying to cope with the adversity, one might also be trying to figure out what everything is all about, i.e. what is the meaning of life.

My belief is that, just as no one gets out of life alive, no one will ever figure out the meaning of life. If there is some form of existence after this life, one might have understanding of this life while in the next life. If there is no existence after this life, then it does not really matter what the meaning of life is. All one can do while in this life is try to maximize the positive and minimize the negative. All one can do is try to maximize enjoyment for however long one is alive. To be on a life journey which seeks to continually strive for this is a more important goal than to arrive at any particular place along the journey.