Days Spent on the Ice

Tyler - Littleton, California

My days spent on the ice I believe is the greatest sacrifice I’ve made in my life. The crazy parties I’ve missed, weekend hangouts missed, hours of hard work, long plane rides, late nights spent on a bus, not getting the girl because you didn’t have enough time to spend with her, leaving the day after Christmas to go to a tournament, celebrating your birthday not at home but on a bus or in a hotel, missing vacations just for hockey, getting skated so hard because the coach is in a bad mood and you messed a drill up, or losing to the your rivals and having to skate so hard you throw up, spending summer break at every ice arena you can find for try outs, moving to a different state just because the teams are better, getting up at four in the mourning just for practice, losing friends because you always have hockey when they want to hang out, driving down to Colorado Springs four times a week just for hockey, doing homework in the car, eating in the car, sometimes just wanting to give it all up. But you know you cant.

You know you cant give it away because the hours you have put into the sport you love and the 17 friends next to you that know you more then even your best friend. No sport I believe can match the sacrifices I’ve gone through, we have no off season; try outs are year round; no time to get out of shape and relax. You have to push your self to the brink of collapse so you can make that team, then its pushing yourself to the point where you do collapse when the season starts. Why? Because you know the guy next to you wants to win and go to nationals. You can’t let the team down because what you’ve all gone through. No one wants to take last after working this hard. The chemistry between you and the teammates is indescribable. They are your second family; they know your secrets and respect the code of the locker room what’s said in the locker room stays in the locker room.

Would I change this, all what I’ve done? No! Because nothing feels better then a dangle, sniping a goalie, or a savage hit. Your 17 best friends you will probably never see again in a few years. My days spent on the I believe I will cherish forever. This is my life, the sport I love. What to call my dedication and days spent on the ice? I like to call it time well spent!