Datta Kaur - Tucson, Arizona

This I believe…that education is the key to fearlessness, self-determination, self-evolvement, and community action. What form of education? Any form of education…from a weekend workshop, to a book club, to another degree, to an evening class at the local college, to knowledge about a group of people who need your help. With 35 years in the educational field, I am a strong proponent of life-long learning, which begins with a joy of what learning has to offer.

In 1970 I was the social director of my University sorority, so I have to admit that I did not ‘get it’ until much later in my life. Education did not come easy – my parents were not college graduates. Being the oldest of 10 children, we often bought with food stamps. I remember my mother filling out the college application for me and asking me to ‘check-off’ a major. I had a great deal of resistance to my initial involvement.

In fact it was observations of my own children’s joy for learning that led me to true realizations about education. They had no doubts about how to get where they wanted to go…and there are was no way or no how that they would be stopped. My three children have a clear mission and I have been supporting them toward a Ph.D. for my son, an M.D. for my oldest daughter and 4 years learning in India for my youngest.

It was then that I went back to school in my late 40’s & 50’s – for a second Masters and Ph.D. After so many experiences & observations, I finally truly embraced what education has to offer…relationships, resources, varied perspectives, new outlooks, and world adventures.

Here I stand – now knowing that it has always been about education for me and I now know why.

Because when you know…you are not afraid of what exists, but instead understand why things are the way they are.

You can walk in another’s shoes.

When you understand, you are not afraid of the unknown because you begin to make your own predictions.

You can steer your future.

When you create your own path, you become confident that you will have a wonderful future and realize how much you have to offer this world.

You become empowered.

Education has brought me to where I am today. This I believe…

Dr. Datta Kaur Khalsa is a University faculty member and has worked in many facets of education for over 35 years.