Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend

Diana - Sugar Land, Texas

I believe that there are days when our lives appear out of our control. We can choose to feel the burden of the world on our shoulders or we can take solace in the things that feel right.

As a mother, a wife, a sister, daughter and a friend, I often feel the world in which I walk is out of control. I wish for a husband for my best friend who would love the sense of joy of having a partner to share her life with. I wish my father would end the long suffering he has endured and go to be with my mother who departed this world three years ago. I wish that my husband could feel content with his business and find peace in other pursuits. I wish one son would decide what life path he wants to take and the other to know what a wonderful father he is. I wish my sister could find quite in her life that brings her a sense of well being.

It would be easy to wish my life away, always thinking of things I cannot control. But I believe you control your own happiness. When life feels out of control, I find my burden lifted by a simple walk with my dog through the familiar trees I see each day. I find peace in letting go for the time it takes to complete a yoga class. I find a feeling of usefulness when I cook for my friends. I find comfort in the familiar phone call I get each day asking what we need from the store. I am content when I sit with my father and feed him ice cream. These simple things I can depend on, they are the rocks of my life and within my control.

Yes it would be easy to let my thought linger on the part of my life that I can’t control, but I believe letting go of the need to control often brings peace in our life. The simple act of being the mother, wife, sister, daughter and friend is often enough for those you share moments with. I believe that these moments bring happiness to my life.