I Hope Someday Sudan Will Stop Its Wars

Isaac - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: place, war

I Hope Someday Sudan Will Stop Its Wars.

I believe Sudan’s wars will end, if power gets changed, religion is by free choice, wealth is shared among Sudanese regions, democracy is puts into practice, tribalism is stopped, and we start to love each other.

If power gets changed now in Sudan, the genocide in Western Darfur will come to an end and the military exercises between south and north will not continue. Moreover, if Sudan president Omar Hassan al-Bahir is still alive or stays in power, there will be no future for the Sudanese people. Nothing good will the world hear about Sudan. I remember in 2005 when the peace agreement was signed between the south and north, the world and Sudanese people were happy and excited about the future of Sudan. I was not completely happy or excited, because I know about this president. He just accepted the peace agreement between the south and north to take off the hoop from his neck. During the peace talks in 2003, Omar Hassan al-Bahir sent his vice president to Kenya for the peace talks while he ordered air bombing and land assaults on the Darfur people. This is why I was not happy or excited, because I knew that the war in the south would end and the war in the west would start. Since the signing of the peace agreement between the south and north, there are still attacks by the government at the Abyei region. Abyei is an oil rich city in the south. I am still concerned about Sudan’s future, even if the peace gets signed between Darfur and the Sudanese government. There might be another war in the east or the attack in the south will continue to heat up.

On the other hand, religion is one of causes for Sudanese wars. Religions have played a major role in all three wars, 1955 to 1972, 1983 to present day and now the Darfur genocide. Although peace was signed, hundreds of people in the south have been killed and millions of people in Darfur. The government enforces Sharria law that requires the whole country to become Islamic. People who don’t follow the Sharria law become the victims, and in danger of their lives.

The government of Sudan needs to share the country’s wealth among the Sudanese regions. Sudan has one of the world’s biggest oil supplies and is among the top ten oil producers in Africa. However, this huge wealth goes to the hand of one man. President Omar Hassan al-Bahir uses this wealth to buy arm supplies and then uses the arms to kill people that complain, instead of using the wealth to build roads, hospitals, schools, and cities. The president’s greed is one of the problems which have caused the wars, because all the citizens want to benefit from this wealth.

The government of Sudan needs to put democracy into practice. Many people get killed all year or tortured because they disagree with the government or speak out against the government. Democracy in Sudan will help bring change into the country. It will let people speak out their mind and, more importantly, it will let the citizens elect who they want to lead them. .

Tribalism is a problem in Sudan and the whole of Africa’s nations. But to end this problem of tribalism the government needs to work for the people, not for tribes or religions. Also, the government needs to educate people to free them from the tribalism mind.

Starting to love each other in Sudan will also bring change. It will eliminate division among religions and ethnic groups. It will heal the wounds of the past between Sudanese people

These six key points are what will bring change to Sudan, but the main one is the changing of power. The US and the world need to help the Sudanese people to get the taste of freedom.