No Matter Where You Go, You Take Your Mother With You

Derek - Gainesville, Georgia

No Matter Where You Go, You Take your Mother With You

For those of you who have ever had a moment like I had this past weekend, then you’ll understand where I’m coming from. Many times have we heard the title above mentioned somewhere and sometime in our lives. This past weekend was one of the first times actually experienced this phenomenon and it struck a deep chord with me.

Keith and I were headed to our tubing trip in McCaysville, Georgia, which is in the north Georgia mountains, listening to AM radio since nothing was playing on the FM band that we care to listen to or that suited our mood for the day. Well, we landed on the radio station, 1330 AM in North Georgia. Now, I’m not sure, but I think this is the station that my grandmother listened to constantly in her home. I can remember her walking around, doing her daily chores, slicing apples to dry on the back deck, sitting in the carport shucking corn and shelling peas, making dinner, baking her famous buttermilk biscuits and thicknin’ gravy, and singing old-time gospel humns along with the radio. So this actually goes further than my Mom, but I digress.

While driving along, I was holding Keith’s hand and I found myself patting it lightly and tapping my fingers gently to the music playing on the radio. I was then struck by the memory of my mother doing exactly the same thing to me when I was a young boy. Whether in church on the front fe pews, in the car, sitting at home on the sofa or at the kitchen table, I distinctly remember my mother, her fingers and hands, her smells, and even her moods when this thing would occur. She was happy! And her way of showing that happiness came through in her tapping and patting my hands or arms or legs. That is just what I was doing with Keith when it hit me! I almost started crying as I remembered that wise old saying that I simply repeated, but never experienced until today: “No matter where you go, you take your mother with you.”

And it is true. I carried this trait that my mother had, into my life with me simply by experiencing my mother do the same thing with me in my childhood. So for anyone who may think that we are nothing like our parents, we are more like our parents than we think even in small ways.

My experience this weekend was one with my Mom. Even though she wasn’t there in person, she was most surely there! So I truly believe that no matter where you go, you do take your mother with you.